Close

Bringing history to life

Major names in Bernese and Swiss history are linked to this castle: von Erlach, von Wattenwyl, von Stürler – and General Henri Guisan, because this was the command post of the Swiss army in 1944/45. Memorial rooms remind us of the dialect author Rudolf von Tavel and the pedagogue and economist, Philipp Emanuel von Fellenberg, who worked all over Europe and founded the Hofwyl Seminary. In 1720, the fortress, which was mentioned for the first time in 1175, was transformed into a baroque estate and remained in private hands until 1934. Since then, the castle owned by the
Jegenstorf Castle Foundation has been open to the public. Along with temporary exhibitions, interiors from the late renaissance to the 19th century are on display. Dozens of objects from the workshop of the Berne family of craftsmen, the Funks, can be admired; other magnificent pieces are by cabinetmakers Christoph Hopfengärtner and Johannes Aebersold.

Visitor information


Opening hours
May 9 - October 14 2018
Tue - Sat 1.30 p.m - 5.30 p.m
Sun 11 a.m. - 5.30 p.m 


Admission
Adults: CHF 10.–
Groups: 7.–
Children to 16 yrs: CHF 3.–
Family: CHF 20.–


  • A1, exits Schönbühl or Kirchberg

  • Parking spaces available

  • Café

  • Swiss Museum Pass valid